Whilst respecting the principals of free speech, Riccall Parish Council expect comments to be decent and inoffensive to others. Any material which the Parish Council considers offensive or defamatory will be removed immediately. This may include all of the comments being removed from certain news stories.


Recentley there have been several attempted and some successfull break-ins in the surrounding areas. Small businesses and farms in out-lying areas have been targeted. For more information and updates follow  North Yorkshire Community Messaging.


Could your home or business be affected by flooding?  You can see the latest information about flood alerts and warnings in our area here: http://bit.ly/2IpuZjP.

A19 ROAD WORKS FULFORD -Weeks 94 & 95 commencing Monday 2nd April 2018


 '24hr' 2 way traffic signals A19  - Tuesday 2nd April until Thursday  5th April.


The temporary 3-way traffic lights on Landing Lane have been causing problems due to the sequence and timing. This has been reported to Yorkshire Water and they are dealing with the situation today. Unfortunatley, they are unable to advise how long the works to the collapsed sewer will take, as a contractor is carrying out the work.





'Off peak' 2 way traffic signals A19 - 5th March February until 9th March (no lights over the weekend)

 '24hr' 2 way traffic signals A19  - 12th March until 16th March (no lights over the weekend)

Safe and clear access will be maintained for pedestrians at all times.


Council Tax bills - FAQs

We get lots of questions about Council Tax. Here are the answers to the ones we get most often.

When I get a new Council Tax bill each year do I need to set up a new Direct Debit?

No. If you've been paying your last Council Tax by Direct Debit then this will continue. Your Direct

Debit will be taken on the same date of the month as before, unless you've cancelled it with your

bank. Please tell us if you'd like to change any details, via info@selby.gov.uk

or 01757 292088.

What if I live on my own?

If you had a single person discount on your last bill, and you’re still living on your own, then this will

continue. The discount should be included on your new bill.

I’m on benefits – what part of my Council Tax do I have to pay?

This is worked out differently depending on whether you're old enough to get your state pension. If

you're of pension age then how much support you can get is worked out on the basis of the whole of

your Council Tax bill. If you're of working age then you must pay at least 10% of your bill. This

means the support you could get is worked out on 90% of the bill.

What about annexes on homes?

You can get half off your Council Tax you pay if you live in an 'annex' to a house – by this we mean a

building that’s connected to a main home - providing you're related to the people paying Council Tax

in the main part of the house. This also applies to people living in homes with annexes that are

empty, but only if you're using the annex as part of your main home. If you think you may qualify

please contact us via info@selby.gov.uk or by calling 01757 292088.

Can I get a discount is there’s major structural repair work at my home?

When you can't live in a home or it's unfurnished because of building work or repairs, you may be

able to get 20% off your Council Tax bill for up to a year. We'll need to take a look at the property to

make a decision on this. If you think you may qualify for this, an application can be found on the

District Council’s website: www.selby.gov.uk


My property’s been empty and unfurnished for less than six months – what discount do I get?

If you've got a home that's empty and unfurnished you may be able to get money off your Council

Tax for up to six months or until someone starts living there. You could get the first month without

having to pay anything, then 20% off your Council Tax bill for the rest of the time.

You can't claim both the money off for the home being empty AND the money off because of major

building work at the same time. It's one or the other.

You need to tell us straight away if someone starts to live in the home.

Bear in mind that any property that has been empty more than two years will be charged a further

50% empty homes premium.

Do I need to report any change of circumstances?

Yes. If you move you need to tell us straight away so we don't charge you the wrong amount (and it

could be that we'd be charging you too much).

If you're getting money off your Council Tax you must tell us straight away if anything changes that

could affect how much discount you get. If you've been given money off that you don't think you

deserve, you must tell us within 21 days. It's the law to do that. Not doing it could mean you'll get a

£70 fine. You can tell us really easily by filling in a change of circumstances form, which can be found

on our website.

How much can Council Tax go up by before there has to be a local vote?

The County Council must hold a referendum if Council Tax is to be increased by 5% or more. Within

this there is a limit of 2% for general spending and 3% linked directly to social care services.

District Councils must hold a referendum if their part of the Council Tax is increased by 2% or more



more than £5 on a Band D property. This means that an increase of more than 2% is allowed

without a referendum vote, providing that the overall increase doesn’t go above £5 for a Band D


Other organisations can raise their part of Council Tax by 1.99% without having to hold a vote on


It’s important to note, however, that by law we must show the increase to the nearest decimal point

– which means that a 1.99% increase shows as 2%, a 2.99% increase shows as 3%.
































Weeks 86 & 87 commencing Monday 5th February 2018 


This is the 44th edition of the newsletter that keeps you up to date with the progress of the Germany Beck junction works on the A19 in Fulford. 
The electric power cables diversion across the A19 has been completed this past week. We apologise for the additional traffic disruption caused by the use of 24hr temporary traffic signals on the A19.
The culvert protection slab is complete, along with the concrete capping beam that runs across the top.
As seen below the old culvert headwall can still be seen from the beck, protected by our new structure supported on piled foundations.
A large trench has been dug the length of the site ready for gas and water pipes to be laid next week to supply the Persimmon housing development.
A large pit over 3m deep has been opened up adjacent to the A19 for a new pumping station to manage the surface water run off from the road during periods of very heavy rain.
The brick parapet wall has commenced to the south of the beck adjacent to the A19.

During the next 2 weeks we will be  - 

  • Progressing the pumping station and drainage connections adjacent to the A19
  • Completing the footpaths adjacent to the A19 in readiness to divert the public onto the eastern footpath in the coming weeks
  • Contractors will be installing water and gas pipes within the prepared trenches, followed by the reinstatement of the trenches
  • Continuing the brickwork walls to the top of the sheet piled retaining structure across the top of the beck
  • Preparing the junction adjacent to the A19 for surfacing
  • Undertaking a deep drainage connection in the location of our old compound

The closure of the eastern footpath on the A19 remains in place. 


A further period of temporary traffic light control on the A19 will be in operation from Friday 16th February.
This is required in order to tie the new raised junction section into the existing A19, ultimately to progress towards moving the A19 traffic onto the raised section in order to complete the junction.
Safe and clear access will be maintained for pedestrians using the western footpath at all times.




Following a very long process, the decision for the development of 99 dwellings at the above site has finally been made by Selby DC. Considering the large amount of negative responses made to Selby DC by residents and the Parish Council, the REFUSAL of this permission will be good news and the Parish Council thanks all those who made comments for their time and effort to inform the Planning Authority of the views of our community. Please see the attached Decision Notice for the reasons that this application has been refused.



A further period of temporary traffic light control on the A19 will be in operation from Monday 29th January.

Large pits are required to be opened up in both of the footpaths of the A19 to enable  new power cables to be jointed to the old cables. Several cables require diverting but the joints can only be carried out one at a time in order to maintain power supplies to the area.
Safe and clear access will be maintained for pedestrians using the western footpath at all times.



A historical culvert is located under the A19. We need to protect the culvert from any possible damage caused by the realigned carriageway and are therefore installing a concrete slab across the top of the culvert. 
This coming week we will continue the use of the off peak traffic lights to facilitate the culvert protection structure and also to install ducts for electricity cables across the A19


PLANNED ROAD CLOSURE NOTIFICATION - 15188 Recreation Road/Barlby Road Mill

The Closure will be in place for a period of 5 days between 12th January 2018 and 16th January 2018 (vegetation removal on the bridge)

The Road Closure and any associated Diversion Routes can be viewed using this URL link https://roadworks.org?tm=104408107


North Yorkshire County Council





Please note that the office will be closed from Thursday 21st December and will re-open on Tuesday 2nd Jan 2018.


You can have your say about how Selby District Council will spend taxpayers’ money in a new consultation that runs until 19 January 2018. 

You can review the Council’s budget priorities and how we plan to spend money delivering local services. Comments received will help to shape the budget for the next financial year, starting in April 2018.

Over the last six years, the Council has saved nearly £6m from the cost of running services – that’s meant we’ve been able to invest in jobs growth and housing.

The Council faces a tough economic climate - with on-going reductions in central government funding expected, we need to save a further £1m by 2018/19 and a further £1.8m by 2019/20.

We plan to deliver even more efficiencies but we also plan to invest to support more local jobs and more affordable homes – ultimately generating more business rates and council tax income to support vital public services as money from central government reduces over time.

The budget consultation gives you the chance to review how we plan to deliver these savings and fund the costs of your local services.

We propose to increase the average Band D Council Tax charge by £5 next year. This means the average District Council bill will go up from £170.22 to £175.22 – an increase of just 10p a week.

Selby District Council’s Executive member for finance and resources, Cllr Cliff Lunn, explained, “The proposed changes to Council Tax mean taxpayers will continue to receive value for money, paying just £175.22 a year towards all of the Council’s services.

“We continue to focus on driving through efficiencies to make the most of each and every taxpayer’s pounds. We’ve been looking at where we can make savings, generate income and work smarter, to help us plan for the future.

“I think it’s really important that people share their views and help shape the way we spend public money to deliver local services.”

Listening and responding to the views of residents is key to our budget setting process. The full draft budget has been considered by the Council’s Executive.

What would you do if you were in charge? What steps would you like to see us take?

Email your comments to communications@selby.gov.uk or write to us – Budget Consultation, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, YO8 9FT.

1 to 15 of 245
« Newer
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Older »